Week 3 Sunday

This is the part of build season where I start seeing big numbers like “3” and getting stressed. Fortunately we’re beginning to move along nicely.

The elevator started getting built today. We decided to modify the Vex kit a little to have one set of bearings riding on the first stage and the other fixed to the top of the base, in order to reduce deflection at lower elevations. This means having to get custom washers or bolt heads so that the one bearing on the base doesn’t interact with the carriage bearings.

After seeing 2363’s video on their intake prototypes last night, I decided to scrap the one I was working on and design a new one, based on 1114’s 2015 intake. We put the laser cutters upstairs to great use for the first time, cutting and 90% assembling in three hours.